Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Still Is The Water Where My Fears Are Bound

Man... I HAVE to post something, even if I have nothing much to say about it... 6th March 2010, what started out to be a nice warm sunny Saturday ended up in disaster as a freak storm hit Victoria.

Bloodied festival-goers, spooked racehorses, smashed windows and cars and heavy rain inside buildings were some of the surreal scenes unfolding across Melbourne, in one of the most intense storms in years. Yesterday's storm in Melbourne was freakish. It was sunny one moment, then suddenly hailstones as big as golf balls fell from the sky at alarming speed. A lot people weren't quick enough to get out of the way and were badly bruised and bloodied. --- 3News





I fortunately/ unfortunately missed the whole event. We were playing futsal in South Yarra when it all happened, we were clueless and when we got out we were so confused. Not to mention, we got stuck at South Yarra coz there were no trains goin back to the city at that point. When we finally got on board ONE train, it stopped at Flinders coz the trains were not goin back to Southern Cross, I didnt know why. So I had to walk all the way home from Flinders station. And on the way, I witness the aftermath of the storm, roof collapsed, water everywhere, ppl STILL stuck on trams and cars left abandoned coz they're not able to move.

When I reached back to my apartment, I learnt that some roofs in Southern Cross Station had "collapsed" which was the reason no trains were goin to Southern Cross.Ok, understood. Then came the problem with my apartment. Spencer Street had flooded before I got back. Water must have subsided when I got back, but the damage has already been done. My apartment lobby had leaves and sticks and water everywhere! The lift wasnt working, they probably shut it down for safety reasons, whatever. And I live on the 30th floor, mind you.... So begins the journey of 1000 steps... oH I dont know... could be 10000 steps for all I know... but freaking hell...30th floor is NO FREAKING JOKE! So yeah... thats how the 100year storm affected me. Wished I had seen it before it left me with such......a lovely experience. Sheesh...

No comments: